Match Day One Highlights

Written by on March 20, 2023

By Benkosi Scoch Maphosa

Match day one of the Castle Lager Premier League saw Hwange FC take on Dynamos FC at Barbourfields Stadium in Bulawayo. After a couple of failed goal attempts by “Dyanmo Dembare,” a fan invaded the pitch and snatched Hwange goalkeeper Nedrick Madeya’s towel, which they suspected contained juju that contributed to their team’s inability to score.

Hwange players protested the act, but it was futile as his towel was burned to ashes by supporters. This came after Dynamos had up to six shots blocked by the woodwork.
Tinashe Makanda eventually scored the solitary goal, giving a victory for the glamour boys, who played with flair and beautiful movement. The passing and ability to attack showed signals of intent from one of the country’s football giants. Hwange nil Dynamos 1 is how it ended.

In the other encounter at Luveve Stadium, Bulawayo Chiefs and Ngezi Platinum Stars played to a 1-1 draw in an encounter that had a slow start in the first half but came to life in the second half with both teams throwing punches at each other in attack. A move engineered by Obrie Chirinda, who won the ball in the middle field, made a bustling run at the defender, beating his marker and releasing his striking partner to Farau Matare, who later on unselfishly rolled the ball to Nkosilathi Ncube to tap in the opener of the encounter in the 54th minute.

Ngezi did not hold back as they probed the Chiefs defense numerous times, eventually forcing a free kick in the 75th minute. Qadar Amini stepped up and scored; that’s how it ended at one goal apiece.

Simba Bhora FC netted first but could not hold on to the goal as FC Platinum came from a goal down to make it 2-1 as they began their title defense at the National Sports Stadium. Newly promoted Simba Bhora stood up and showed they should be counted when they sent warning shots at defending champions “Pure Platinum Play” when they scored first through former Dynamos player Ronald Chitiyo, who put in a beauty in the 52nd minute of the game. “FC” stamped its authority with Juan Mutudza scoring first in the 88th minute and completing his brace in the 90th to seal the victory for his side.

Chicken Inn FC travelled to newly promoted Shesham FC and played out a goalless draw in a fixture that produced nothing but a red card for the gamecocks. Tafadzwa Kutinyu received his first caution after protesting to the referee that he was fouled and producing evidence of his torn jersey, but the referee had none of that, and he went on to get a second yellow and his matching orders for a hard defensive foul in the 72nd minute of the game on Shesham’s David Mangesi in the game.

On Sunday Highlanders FC opened their Castle Lager Premier League campaign at home against ZPC Kariba FC in front of a raucous crowd at Emagumeni the game ended in a goalless draw.

After an exciting start to the game that promised goals, Washington Navaya was set up by Lynoth Chikuwa in the third minute but failed to direct the ball goalward. Tapiwa Chilenga saved Navaya’s effort in the eighth minute, but his follow-up effort was wide.

The main talking point is a ball that appeared to cross the goal line after Highlander’s Chikuwa’s header was eventually parried away by Chilenga, who was the game’s highlight with time-wasting antics that irritated even the fans and possibly the Bosso players. In the absence of Coach Baltimo Britto, who is in Portugal for a refresher course, Madinda Ndlovu and his co-assistants took charge of the team. Until the end, it was a story of missed opportunities for Highlanders FC and time-wasting for ZPC Kariba.

Caps United defeated Manica Diamonds 2-0 in their match in the Capital City. Manica goalkeeper Jorum Muchambo bundled up what appeared to be a routine save from a Thulani Joseph shot at goal in the third, but the ball trickled into the net and Kepe-Kepe went ahead. The green machine was well-oiled as it played in unison like an opera, and just before halftime, Blessing Sarupinda netted the crucial cushion goal as the teams headed to the tunnel.

The second half saw the tale of goal scorer Thulani end with a red card after he made a dangerous tackle on Bret Amidu in the 86th minute. Nothing else in terms of goals as Kepe and Kepe managed the game till their victory at full-time.

The Sugar Boys Triangle saw off the visiting students of Herentals FC in Chiredzi that two fixtures will complete match day on Monday. Yadah FC will welcome newcomers Greenfuels FC to the National Sports Stadium for a noon kickoff and at 3 p.m. in the same stadium, Cranbonne Bullets FC will take a shot at army side Black Rhinos FC.

Reader's opinions

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Current track